Over 1.5 million US citizens visit India annually. A majority of them visit for a leisurely holiday. What makes India such an attractive travel destination? Apart from the over 30 UNESCO Heritage sites and national parks, the availability of USA to India cheapest flights has also played a role in making a trip to India quite alluring.
You’re sure to know of the most visited destinations in India viz., the Taj Mahal, Jaipur, Delhi, Goa, etc. However, India offers many other exciting and safe off-beat experiences. Here are some that really give you a flavor of the country.
- North-East India: It is home to over 200 tribes, some of the most notorious being the Konyaks – Headhunters of Nagaland. If you visit during their festival, you may even get to see the skulls of their enemies that once adorned their doorways, before the practice was banned.
- Temples of Tanjore, Tamil Nadu: Thanjavur or Tanjore was the seat of the mighty Chola Empire (9th to 13th Centuries CE). It is well known for its magnificent temples from the Chola Era. Feast your eyes on the temples and the gold embossed paintings made in the region. Feast your ears on Indian Classical music by attending the festival in honor of the great composer Saint Thyagaraja.
- Patola sarees of Patan, Gujarat: – Every region in India has its own specialty weave. The Patola of Gujarat is an exquisite textile. The Patola sari is made with the excruciatingly laborious process of a double ikat weave. It is still patronized by royalty and celebrities worldwide. Feel like a celebrity yourself when you drape the gossamer silk with its intricate pattern around your shoulders.
- Pre-historic settlements in Bhimbhetka: Visit these rock shelters to view brilliant cave paintings from the Indian Mesolithic periods (over 10000 years old). They are considered the oldest petroglyphs in the world.
- Kajuraho Temples of Madhya Pradesh: – Known for its uncanny sculptures, the Kajuraho temple complex is every bit as mysterious and enchanting as you would imagine.
- Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu: The Colonial history of India has left behind a vibrant imprint. Pondicherry is a favorite among India’s colonial capitals. It served as the headquarters of the French administration till the early 18th century. Its esplanade, shady avenues, and French-style villas give you much to savor while you enjoy the Franco-Indian cuisine specific to the region.
- Western Ghats: One of the original Biodiversity Hotspots of the world, this region is host to a myriad number of amphibians, reptiles, birds, and flowers. Book a cozy homestay and enjoy the lush verdure of the mountains.
- Tiger Sanctuaries: Ranthambore, Bandipur, Pench are just a few of the many tiger conservation centers of the country. You can enjoy safaris on the back of gently swaying Elephants, and feel like medieval royalty on their fabled hunts.
- Rhinos of Kaziranga: Indian Rhinos are elusive in all regions but the North-Eastern state of Assam. They thrive in the grasslands of the Kaziranga sanctuary. Some are even known to venture into human settlements.
Well, what are you waiting for? Book your tickets on one of the cheapest flights from the US, pack your bags and passport, and head on to India right away! With these places in mind, you can plan an unforgettable trip to India and make great memories to last you a lifetime!