The retention is an annoying condition that causes a general swelling but is located in the legs and abdomen, the most sensitive parts of liquid retention.
How to Eliminate Fluid Retention in the Legs and Abdomen?
If the cause is not a severe medical condition and is a mild build-up; Today, we explain how to eliminate fluid retention in the legs and abdomen to feel better.
What is Fluid Retention?
Water retention or edema is a condition that occurs when fluids are not adequately removed from the circulatory system and tissues, including the skin.
- What are the symptoms? Symptoms include localized swelling in the ankles, hands, feet, and legs, and abdomen. Weight changes can be another manifestation.
- Causes of fluid retention: it can occur for various reasons that are not serious. And in this sense, women tend to suffer more fluid retention in the legs and abdomen due to hormonal causes during pregnancy or menstruation. Other reasons can be a sedentary lifestyle, an inadequate diet, high salt intake, and standing or sitting for a long time.
Fluid retention can be a symptom of a more severe medical condition, so if you experience severe retention in a short period, you need to see a doctor to rule out possible cardiovascular or kidney problems.
Tips on How to Eliminate Fluid Retention
These simple tricks can help you eliminate these pesky fluids:
The body retains fluids because it does not know when it will receive the next water supply. It is advisable to drink at least two liters of water a day. In this sense, you should also avoid the consumption of dehydrating substances such as alcohol and caffeine.
Reduce Salt Intake
Sodium binds to body water to maintain fluid balance in cells. Excessive consumption of salt, therefore, causes more excellent retention of liquids. The processed food contains a lot of salt, so one of the keys to removing fluid retention is moderate salt intake.
Increase the Consumption of Supplements Such as:
- Magnesium: a good source of magnesium can be nuts, whole grains, green vegetables, and dark chocolate, yes, pure.
- Potassium present in meat, avocados, or tomatoes.
- Vitamin B1, B5, and B6 supplements present in meat, fish, or fruits of the forest, such as blueberries.
Fluid retention can be the consequence of a nutritional deficiency.
Horsetail herb is an excellent infusion to eliminate fluid retention; you will easily find it in supermarkets. Although it is a gentle herbal treatment, it is not recommended to consume more than two cups a day.
Consult with your doctor to take horsetail in case of pregnancy or if you take other types of medications.
Diuretic drugs should not be taken without medical supervision.
Physical activity is essential, not only to eliminate fluid retention but also to maintain proper health. In this sense, the WHO recommends a minimum of 150 minutes per week of physical activity.
When performing physical activity, the muscles’ movement and contraction act as a valve that favors blood circulation throughout the system; in the case of a sedentary lifestyle, this impulse is not produced to help blood circulation. This translates into more excellent fluid retention and circulatory problems such as varicose veins.
Lymphatic Drainage Massages and Use of Compression Stockings
The lymphatic drainage massage is helpful when it comes to improving edematous cellulite caused by inadequate fluid retention. Also, if you work for a long time without changing your posture (either standing or in a chair), gradual compression stockings are recommended.
Although, if you are going to work a long time standing or sitting, try to move every half hour to promote circulation and avoid retention. If you spend time sitting down, the most important thing is to stay active and not try to compensate for excessive exercise.
Other methods and exercises are:
- Scottish showers are interspersing hot and cold water.
- Raise the legs above the trunk to promote circulation. Lie down and lift your legs for periods of 30-45 seconds.
- Doing the wall leg pose is a very simple yoga asana to improve the circulatory system after long periods of standing.
As you will see, there is a lot of advice when it comes to addressing the improvement of mild edema. If you wanted to know how to eliminate fluid retention, now you know that it is necessary to balance your lifestyle towards healthy habits both physically and nutritionally.