Yeast infection is a health condition that affects women. Other people refer to it as vaginal yeast infection or Candida vaginal infection. From the names, it is quite easy for one to tell that the health condition affect the vagina. This kind of infection is caused by a fungus that is known as Candida albinicans.
It is estimated that during the period of a lifetime, about 755 of women are likely to develop at least one yeast infection. On the other hand, the estimate also reveals that at least 45% are also likely to have developed the infection in the period of a lifetime. There are certain practices and conditions that can lead to the development of this kind of infection in women. However, you will be able to find out more about that in the following sub topics on this subject.
Certain studies about Yeast infection also reveal that about 20% to 50% of women in proper state of health often have the infection in their vaginal areas. This means that this kind of infection can affect any woman including even those in good health.
It is also important to note that a yeast infection is not a sexually transmitted disease and it also does not occur in women who are celibate.
Even though it is said that yeast infection is able to affect even those women in proper state of health. It is still vital that as a woman, you need to be knowledgeable on some of the causes of this condition. When you are well informed on the causes of the condition, you will be in a position of knowing what you need to do or how you need to ensure that you do not get the infection since just like other health conditions, yeast infections have got their consequences.
When looking at the causes of infection, you should also take note of the fact that the infection is mostly prevalent in women who are in the ages of between 20 to 40 years old. Just as stated above, there are several conditions and practices that are able to lead to the development of yeast infections in the vaginal area of a woman. The condition occurs when there is an introduction of new yeast into the vaginal area or when the number of yeast that is already in the vagina increases above the normal number.
Below are some of the conditions that can lead to the development of a yeast infection:
- When the vagina contains a variety of healthy bacteria living therein. This may also include the existence of yeast.
- When something happens to trigger the balance of bacteria and yeast present in the vagina. When the balance of these two is upset by any condition, a woman is able to develop a yeast infection. The infection takes place when the yeast overgrows due to the imbalance.
- When there is injury to the inner parts of the vagina that can be as result of chemotherapy among other procedures that are conducted in the vaginal area.
- When a woman’s immune system is suppressed from the use of certain medications like those that contain cortisone.
- When a woman uses certain vaginal sprays and even oral contraceptives.
- Diabetes Mellitus.
There are lots of women who have yeast infections but still are unable to establish the condition. However, to be on the safer side, it is important that you get to know some of the symptoms of yeast infections. This will help you in sourcing for the most appropriate solution to the condition in good time. It is even quite easy finding a remedy or treatment for the condition when you know that you have it compared to when you are suffering but not really aware of the kind of infection that you are having.
There are several signs that women can be able to rely on in order to establish if they have got yeast infections. However, at times the symptoms may also vary form one woman to the other since every woman is different. Below are some of the general symptoms that you will be able to experience in case you are having a yeast infection:
- Itching and redness of the vagina.
- Thick discharge that looks like cheese.
- A burning sensation around the opening of the vagina especially during urination.
- Discomfort and pain when having sex.
It is advisable that in case you have developed the symptoms of a yeast infection, you need to seek the advise of a doctor so as to assist you on how you are able to manage the condition. However, even as you seek the attention of a doctor, you should know some of the home remedies that you may be able to use at home by yourself in order to curb the symptoms and prevent them from worsening.
The main advantage why it is recommended that you rely on home remedies is that most of them are from materials that can be easily obtained. Besides, they are also less expensive compared to medications that you may obtain from the doctor or the chemist. Most of the home remedies are also from plants or herbs that do not have dire side effects from the industrially manufactured medications. Below are some of the remedies for yeast infections that you can use in case you are infected:
These are among the most popular natural home remedies for yeast infections. Probiotics are live microbial organisms that are found in the vagina and the digestive tract. Some people refer to them as ‘friendly’ bacteria because of their ability to suppress the growth of certain harmful organisms in the body like Candida which is the fungus that causes yeasty infections. However, to be able to know how to obtain and use this remedy, you will need to see a doctor. Probiotics can today be obtained in the form of oral supplements.
- Tee Tree Oil
This is also another effective home remedy that can be used to suppress a yeast infection. To be able to use it, take the Tee Tree Oil and dilute it then apply using a soft cloth or material to the vaginal area. Tee Tree Oil contains a compound known as Terpinen-4-ol that is effective in fighting the growth of Candida in the vagina hence managing the condition. When using Tee Tree Oil, it is advisable that you dilute it since using it just the way it is might have certain unpleasant effects on the vaginal area.
- Boric Acid
Boric acid is also said to be another remedy for yeast infections that can be used by women who have got the condition. It’s effectiveness is as a result of the antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that enables it to suppress the growth of the fungus, Candida. However, it is also advisable that in case you need to use this remedy, you should consult a doctor so that you are able to find out about the directions on how it is used.
Apart from just the above named home remedies, there are also other oral medications that you are able to obtain from the chemist to help you in suppressing a yeast infection. However, bear in mind that the vagina is a very delicate part of the body and so any form of medication that you intend to use on it has to be approved by a professional medical practitioner.
Nutrition is an important part of each and every health condition. It is therefore important that whenever you are experiencing a yeast infection, there are certain foods that you need to increase in your diet while there are also others that you should avoid. Below are some of the foods that you will need to include in your diet to suppress the growth of Candida and also improve your health:
- High fiber foods like steamed vegetables including broccoli, celery, onions, garlic among others.
- Foods rich in protein like fish, chicken, nuts, eggs among others.
- Complex carbohydrates like oats, rice and beans.
- Fresh fruits like berries, grapes, papaya, pineapple and several others.
When you are experiencing a yeast infection, it is advisable that you diet should avoid such foods like:
- Processed foods with sweeteners.
- Baked breads.
- Dried fruits.
- Alcohol among other kinds of beverages that contain barley as an ingredient.
There are several practices that are recommended for women who intend to keep yeast infections at bay. Below are some of the measures that you should take in order to prevent the development of a yeast infection:
- Eating a well balanced diet that contains fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and dairy products that so not have higher fat content. Besides, eating foods that are rich in lactobacillus can also be very effective in preventing the condition.
- Controlling diabetes or blood sugar levels in the body is also effective in keeping yeast infections at bay.
- Avoid the unnecessary use of antibiotics like vaginal sprays among others.
- Keep the vaginal area clean. When cleaning the vagina, avoid scented soaps and rinse well.
- Put on underwear that keeps the vaginal area dry most of times, preferably cotton a underwear.
- Change the towels and tampons that you use often.