Proteins along with peptides are both made with the strands of amino acids. However, proteins contain more strings of amino acids when compared to peptides. Peptides are smaller as compared to proteins, hence they can perforate deep inside the skin very easily.
In the past, peptides usage in skincare products was expected to be around 7.2% which has now increased to 88.5%. Synthetic peptides were developed for skincare products back in 1980. Peptides are widely being used as an anti-ageing ingredient for the skin and are generally obtained through chemical laboratories. The first peptide synthesized was Glutathione. There are various types of peptides present these days in cosmetic and skincare products namely
- Enzyme inhibiting peptides -Helps in reducing the enzymes whose activity contributes to anti-ageing.
- Carrier peptides as the name suggest aid in carrying substances inside the cell.
- Signal peptides – Signal peptides aid in the growth of cells.
Peptides are used widely for the following skin purposes –
- Reduces inflammation
Peptides help in reducing inflammation on the skin as it contains anti-inflammatory properties
- Makes skin firmer
Peptide helps in making loose skin firmer with its anti-ageing properties
- Reduces wrinkles
Peptides can help the skin to make collagen and with the help of their anti-ageing properties, it reduces wrinkles and fine lines. It helps in repairing damaged cells of the skin.
Peptides use has been growing amongst fitness enthusiasts to build muscle strength effectively. The type of peptide known as growth hormone secretagogues (GHS) contains small strands of amino acids which are present in the supplement of bodybuilders. Types of GHS like-hexarelin, leuprorelin, tabimorelin, sermorelin are present in a bodybuilder’s supplements. There are factors to be considered before buying peptides –
- You should always consult your doctor before consuming supplements containing peptides. Supplements of peptides for sale are widely available online.
- If you are using serum and creams containing peptides, and it causes irritation on the skin, it is better to consult a dermatologist for the same.
- The peptides supplements, as well as skincare products containing peptides, should be purchased from a reputed company only.
- Consumption of peptide supplements should be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women.
It is also necessary to check the bioactivity of the peptides that are made either by the traditional ways or through silico methods. Intake of supplements and medicines containing peptides are usually bitter. If anything is ingested then the first thing that we as humans consider is its taste.
The presence of hydrophobic amino acids and the increase in molecular weight has contributed to the bitterness in taste. Although procedures are being carried out by researchers to reduce the bitterness, it is coming on a costlier side because of the requirement of more enzymes.
Research is still going on about the efficiency of peptides. Although they are considered safe for consumption and usage on the skin, for a safer side it is always better to consult your doctor before using or consuming it.