I feel handmade accessories are a symbol of power, effortlessness, and confidence. The moment you wear something personalized and move around the streets, people can’t stop looking at you. I used to make hair bows and headbands for my 3-year-old daughter and she loved pairing those with her beautiful floral dresses.
A simple accessory can help elevate the entire look on any occasion, be it a prom night, bridal shower, birthday party, or whatever else. I always love crafting DIY accessories using colorful ribbons and of course, a bit of creativity. In this post, I am going to share an easy tutorial on how to make DIY ribbon accessories with a little bit of twisting and sewing. Let’s get started!
- Satin Ribbon Hair Bow
These hair bows look very pretty and are easy to make. It can also be used for brooch and ornaments on bags, pillows, flip flops, belts, clothing, and more. Let’s see how to make this gorgeous hair bow accessory.
- Satin ribbon
- Needle and thread
- Blank hair clip
- Take 2 pieces of satin ribbon, one for the bow and the other for the center part. I used a ribbon of 2 inches width and 8 inches length size, but you can choose any desired dimension.
- Use glue on the edge of the ribbon and let it dry.
- Now make small folds for a bow. Start folding from one side while pressing the middle section of the bow.
- Use a thread for tying a knot in the middle so that small folds don’t fall. Sew the open ends with thread and needle and then burn the rough ends using a lighter.
- Attach the bow to a blank hair clip using hot glue. It looks very elegant and makes me fall in love with satin bows again and again.
- Braided Headbands
When it’s a bad hair day, stimulate your mood with a cute little headband. It feels great to go back and reminisce about my short hair days. That’s why having hair accessories is a must. Here’s how to make braided headbands.
- Hot glue
- Any lace or net detailing fabric
- Thread and needle
- Take a blank headband, anything that you are okay to cover up.
- Use tulle fabric or any other, cut it into strips that may be a little longer than a headband, and braid them properly. You can also use any thin and stretchy jersey fabric.
- Use hot glue and wrap the headband with the same strip of fabric.
- You can even combine fancy materials like lace, mesh net detailing, or flowers to add an extra charm to it. And your very own braided headband accessory is ready!
- Vintage Bridal Hair Accessory
Subtle colors like ivory and white always add an old-school charm. If you want a colorful hairband, stick with colors like lilacs and lavender or honey yellows and sea greens. Part of me always wanted to create something fascinating for my sister and I’ve got this opportunity at her wedding.
- Plastic band
- Satin ribbons
- Needle and thread
- Bits and pieces of lace, crochet, and decorative flowers
- Beads, pearls, and crystals
- Take the satin ribbon to cover the plastic band. I picked off-white and ivory colors for a minimalist touch.
- Trim the edges of the ribbon with a scissor and burn the ends with a lighter, just enough to secure the threads so that it doesn’t come off.
- Stitch along the full length of the band and trim the rough edges for a neat look.
- Now fold over the ends and stitch everything well.
- Pick the lace and interesting details to decorate the band. You can make beautiful-looking flowers from lace and crochet ribbon.
- Add bits of lace, crystals, pearls, and crochet flowers for embellishment.
- You can also add an element of veiling (optional). For this, cut a piece of veiling into a triangular shape and stitch it on the underside of the band.
- You can try experimenting with feathers and pre-made fabric roses.
- Line everything inside the band with decorative velvet. Make sure to burn the edges and sew them as neatly as possible. And your vintage-style hairband is ready!
Start Crafting Accessories for Your Next Soiree
DIY ribbon hair accessories sound quite elegant in itself and I am glad that my crafting ideas turned out so amazing. You can use your leftover bits and pieces of ribbon and fabrics and find infinite possibilities to create your favorite craft projects. You can make any inspirational work of art, such as hair bows, headband, button flower hair clip, bridal hair accessory, tulle ponytail holder, and so on.
Now that you have got some cool DIY accessories ideas, don’t wait to try it for yourself to impress your loved ones on any occasion.